More in this section
Independent Officers of the Legislative Assembly
Appointed under the Audit Act, the Auditor General reviews the annual public accounts of the province and publishes an opinion on whether they fairly present the financial position of the province; and conducts independent audits and examinations of government entities in order to provide objective information, advice and assurance to the Legislative Assembly.
Chief Electoral Officer and Deputy Chief Electoral Officer
Appointed under the Election Act, the Chief and Deputy Chief Electoral Officers are responsible under that Act and several other pieces of legislation for the general direction and supervision over the administrative conduct of elections in a fair and impartial manner.
Child and Youth Advocate
- Listens to children and youth and helps them have their voices heard
- Helps connect children, youth and their families to programs and services
- Works with families, professionals , communities and government to protect and promote the rights of children and youth
- Advocates for individual children and youth and groups of children and youth
- Makes recommendations
- Makes reports to inform the public about important matters for children and youth
Conflict of Interest Commissioner
The general purpose and objective of the Conflict of Interest Act is to make sure no member, member of a member’s family, nor any other person, has their private financial interest furthered by a decision that the member makes or participates in. Appointed under the Act, the Conflict of Interest Commissioner:
- Acts as an advisor to members;
- Meets with each member at least once annually to review the disclosure of the member's private interests and general obligations imposed by the Act;
- Prepares a Public Disclosure Statement for each member (these statements are filed with the Clerk, are available for public inspection and are posted on the Legislative Assembly website); and
- Undertakes investigations and provides opinions into alleged contraventions of the Conflict of Interest Act.
Information and Privacy Commissioner
Appointed under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, the Information and Privacy Commissioner is responsible for monitoring how public bodies administer the Act. This is primarily done through independent reviews of public bodies respecting access to information requests and requests for correction of personal information; and by investigating complaints that an individual’s personal information has been collected, used or disclosed by a public body in violation of the Act. The Commission is also responsible under the Health Information Act for overseeing that personal health information of Islanders is dealt with in a manner consistent with the provisions of the Act.